Are you ready to continue with your adventures after a compassionate emergency visit or your medical repatriation home? If so, read on for the details on what you can do to get back to your travels…
So you’re feeling ready to get back to where you left off following a compassionate emergency visit or your medical repatriation home? Awesome! Your policy covers reasonable transport and accommodation expenses to get you back on the road.
How it works
Before you even think about returning to where you left off, you MUST:
- contact our Emergency Assistance Team for approval to use the Resumption of Trip benefit.
- check that your policy is still active and has not expired at the time you resume your trip, otherwise this benefit is not valid.
- be aware that if you plan to resume your trip after a compassionate emergency visit concerning your close relative's unexpected death, sudden illness or serious injury caused by a pre-existing medical condition, the maximum we'll pay in respect of all claims combined under all the sections of the policy is $2,000 per single policy and $4,000 per policy with two or more travellers.
Finally, if a compassionate emergency visit has taken you to a country other than New Zealand, you can still resume your trip from this country, but we'll only pay the lesser of what it would cost to resume your trip from this country or from your country of residency.
An example: You’re a Kiwi travelling in France. You go to the USA for a compassionate emergency visit. To resume your trip, we’ll compare the costs to get you back to France from New Zealand and from the USA, and we’ll pay the lesser amount.
What’s not covered
Travel insurance is not designed to cover everything, so take the time to read the terms, conditions, limits and exclusions of the policy wording, particularly Section 3 for Cancellation and Trip Interruption and the General Exclusions, so there are no surprises if you do need to use it.
Here are the main things that aren’t covered:
- If you don’t wish to resume your trip, your cover ceases at the time you arrive home, with no refund for any unused portion of your policy.
- Any costs incurred once you get back home.
- Anything else that's listed in the exclusions on the policy.